Skip to main content

Film Cameras for Stop-motion

So, the other day I was considering buying a film camera, here is what I came up with.  Something that iv'e heard many sources say, is that Aardman, the company behind Wallace & Gromit, has used the Mitchell Freis 35mm film camera, I found that on Ebay you can buy it for $3,250-7,000 which is a very reasonable price, for a professional.  The next cameras that I looked at
was the Bolex, the Bolex is a very good 16mm film camera that you can also purchase on Ebay.  The Bolex prices will depend on which model you buy, the best model that I found worked best for stopmo, was the Bolex Rex 5 reflex 16mm camera, which you can get for around $1,200.  Then, I thought that I could MAKE my own camera, this idea sprung up because an article in an old Popular Mechanics magazine, this particular article was referring to the home-made camera that was used to film the movie Bellflower, you can see an article on the camera here.

My final conclusion, is that if money is an issue, (which usually is, for the modern animator) then where you'll send the most cash is on the film, not the camera.  So if its in you budget, then a film camera is definitely worth considering.

CON's of film: well the only 'con' that i'm concerned about, is that there is no 'frame grabbing' software, for film cameras.

My well-worn, copy of the Bellflower home-made camera.

Popular posts from this blog

Peter and the Wolf

I was incredibly impressed with  Peter and the Wolf which is a 2006 Stop Motion short film,










Another Post about armatures

I know that I have a lot of posts concerning armatures, well here's another.

Frankenweenie armatures

These are armatures and puppets from the Tim Burton film "Frankenweenie."

Sweet Dreams & Storyboard pro!

Lets go back into time about four years ago, in 2009 we had probably the best year for stopmo ever;  I mean it, there's Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline, and A town Called panic, all were