Skip to main content

Interview with Robert Shaw, Director, Writer, and Co-Animator of Stop Motion Short Film "The Machine"



Parables and allegories, amidst every other kind of story that can be told, have a unique and extraordinarily powerful quality that is all their own: They allow us – the audience – to learn lessons about and to see ourselves, others, and the world in which we live through a completely different lens – that of narrative. The best allegories and parables, in fact, have the unique ability to simultaneously act as conduits for important lessons and to also exist as literal stories, which gives them the unique ability to challenge beliefs and ideas held by the audience in a way that only art can do. Some of the most cherished stories ever composed, illustrated, and put on film are parables and allegories, and what makes them so exceptional are how powerful the lessons are that they teach.

The Machine meets The Farmer in The Machine. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

Robert Shaw, in his haunting and beautiful stop motion short film The Machine – which he wrote, directed, and co-animated – is this kind – the best kind – of allegory. It manages to be the best of both worlds: To, on one level, subsist as an extraordinarily engaging and poignant film, and to also subtly convey an underlying theme and lesson.

“The story for The Machine remained unchanged from beginning to end,” Shaw tells Stop Motion Geek. “My politics, like most people are complicated and don’t fit neatly in any one philosophy, but under it all I felt (and still feel) that money is the most evil force in the world. The Machine was written as an allegory about free-market capitalism, but the symbolism is very simple. That is so it’s not a story that applies only to the problems in the United States. It applies to every place I’ve ever been to.”

The idea that The Machine’s is an allegory is brilliantly conveyed in the film: The entire story take place inside of a 20th Century nickelodeon, which adds another layer of subtle observation that all of the characters and the setting in which they live are powered by and all work within a larger, bigger “machine.”

The opening scene of The Machine. Source: Vimeo.

The film begins with a hand reaching out and inserting a coin in the nickelodeon, which initiates both the story playing out within the “machine” and a clock – perhaps symbolic of the doomsday clock – that constantly counts down to twelve until the very last scene of the film.

Inside of the nickelodeon, the character of “The Machine” is made by “The Man,” and then proceeds to tromp across a kingdom and, from there, starts to wreak havoc.

The Farmer from The Machine. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

In support of the narrative, every single one of the puppets featured in the film are hand-crafted marvels, exquisitely constructed and engineered. The scenery and animation also have this quality, and yet every visual element manages to retain a “hand-crafted” feel while still managing to subsist within the mechanized aesthetic of the film, which is, in and of itself, an incredible feat.

"The Machine" from The Machine. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

I recently had a chance to interview Shaw about his work on The Machine. In our interview, Shaw had a chance to discuss his inspirations – from his animation influences to Michelangelo’s “David” – as well as his creative process. Furthermore, he tells us his advice to creatives aspiring to become a part of the animation industry. Shaw also gives us a deep-dive into what his schedule and role as a animation director at Portland-based animation studio Bent Image Labs looks like – a glorious overdose in an element of the animation industry that is, quite often, secret from the general public. You can read our interview below in full.

A.H.: Can you tell us a little about where the idea for The Machine came from, what it meant to you, and what roles you performed on it across the entirety of the production?

Robert Shaw:
I traveled to Europe for the first time in 2003. I visited several cities in a few different countries. I first started thinking about The Machine after seeing the statue of David in Florence Italy. I think that’s where the idea for the design of the character came from, as well as the beginnings of the story. A few months later I visited Prague and an ornate theatrical style started taking shape in the film idea.

"The Farmer" concept sketch. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

I have always loved animation from places like Czech Republic, Poland and Russia so that eastern block style can't help but find its way into my animation. The concept for The Machine came out of traveling through Europe, but also through the films that I love. The idea rattled around in my brain for a long time before I actually made it so it’s hard to pinpoint exactly where it came from.

A.H.: From first conception to final product, what was the evolution for idea of The Machine from a story standpoint? What choices did you make along the way that shaped the final film, transforming it from the film you originally envisioned into the finished film?

RS: The story for The Machine remained unchanged from beginning to end. My politics, like most people are complicated and don’t fit neatly in any one philosophy, but under it all I felt (and still feel) that money is the most evil force in the world. The Machine was written as an allegory about free-market capitalism, but the symbolism is very simple. That is so it’s not a story that applies only to the problems in the United States. It applies to every place I’ve ever been to.

"The Machine" concept sketch. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

I initially imagined a stop motion puppet as The Machine, with paper cut outs for everything else. The Farmer, King, etc., were going to be cut up illustrations, almost like Victorian paper dolls. I think because I started the film and did an animatic in 2003, but then didn’t pick it up and animate until 2007, I was no longer into the original designs so I tried something different.

I fell in love with Paper craft at some point during the down time of the film, so I made 3D paper puppets for the characters. Paper-craft puppets worked with the nickelodeon theater idea and made it more interesting for me to animate.

A.H.: I’m quite impressed by the sound design of The Machine, which is one element that is so key to making animated film work yet it so often gets overlooked. Can you tell us a little bit about your collaboration with Brian Kinkley, Sirrobrob, and Andrea Schuch on the sound design of the film? Also, from your work on all of your projects, what have been the greatest lessons you’ve learned about sound design and how it contributes to the final film?

RS: I could not agree more. Sound is incredibly important. Film is the combination of visuals and sound and if you have sound in your work, you should treat it with the same importance as your image. In fact, it’s a tool, like dialogue, and editing, to help control your film and present ideas.

"Little Skeleton" puppet. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

The sound started with Andrea, an Austrian fabricator that worked on a show with me in Germany back when I first got the idea. Her accent and her voice were perfect. She sounds gentle but straight forward which gives the narration a haunting feel. She also has a strong accent which helped throw off the scent of this being an American film. I wanted it to feel more universal so her accent was perfect.

Brian Kinkley is an animation peer who also does a little sound design here and there. He and I have very similar aesthetics and he has a better ear than I do. I did a rough sound design, because I need that to judge the pacing and emotion of a film before I handed it off to Brian. At the time I felt like it was 90% finished and so it was almost unnecessary to have him work on it. This was the biggest lesson on the film, and one I learn again and again as a director. The lesson is; get people who are better than yourself to do specific things on your work. Brian really brought it all together and gave it a sense of texture that was not there in my rough. On my newest film, Brian and I worked together again and I have actually added someone to do the mastering so that it will sound that much better.

Sirrobrob is just me. I feel tacky writing my name multiple times on the credits so it’s my music pen name.

A.H.: Looking back on The Machine now, eight years later, what is your perspective on it? Do you have any takeaways - lessons you wished you had known, things you wish you had done differently, etc.?

RS: I think its a pretty good marker in time, so I would not actually want to go back and change anything. The message still rings true for me. I guess my regret is that I didn’t put a little more comedy into it. I don’t think it needed to be funny, but when I have watched it in theaters, it comes off so serious and I didn’t intend it to be devoid of humor. The message would be more effective is there had bit a tiny bit of lightness along the way.

"The Farmer" template. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

A.H.: For nearly two decades you’ve sustained a professional career in the stop motion industry. Do you have any advice on how to sustain a career in animation? How have you constructed your life in a way so that you can find the emotional and intellectual energy to continue to pursue your creative passions full-time?

RS: My advise to everyone who wants to work in stop motion is practice and work. Whatever you want to do, whether its animate, fabricate or whatever, start doing it all the time. Make stuff. Animate stuff. Be critical of your work and keep trying to get better.

At the same time, go get a job in animation. Be a PA or an intern and work your heart out. If the studio has testing stages, stay after hours and animated. Stop motion is a small industry and the people you work with today are going to be the same people that tell you about jobs in 20 years so it’s important to get into that community as soon as you can.

Also, be cool to everyone. People who are interns today are going to be directors and executive producers in the future. If you treat someone like crap today, they will remember.

"The Man" template. Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw.

As for the second question about finding your energy, I always have a personal project. I do commercial work, but always have my own work happening after hours. This is the only way I have found to maintain any balance. As a professional, I am constantly asked to solve creative problems and I am asked to defend my creative decisions. Without my personal work I would lose the ability to stand behind my decisions. By going to my basement and animating stuff there, I recharge the creative battery that I need for the commercial work.

A.H.: This is a weirder and broader question, but I’m curious to know the answer: Across your career in the stop motion industry, you’ve directed dozens of stop motion short films, television specials, music videos, and commercials. How do you and your colleagues go about scheduling one of these projects - specifically according to output of animation per animator during the production process? What might the schedule look like for a project such as the Dairy Farmers of Canada commercial you directed, and how do you, as a director, make sure that you’re on schedule and on budget throughout the production process?

RS: That is a tricky one. For one, I don’t do any of it alone. There is always a producer working with me and we run numbers off of each other to make sure we are being realistic. We also consult the other artists on the project. So I go to animators, show them the boards, and ask if the schedule sounds crazy of doable. If they feel it’s crazy then we try to see if adding more animators will solve it.

The Machine meets The Man in The Machine. Source: Vimeo.

The job is broken down into the frames for every shot which the producer is tracking daily. This way if we start falling behind, we know quickly enough to react.

The animation I directed for Dairy Farmers of Canada is a good example for a commercial stop motion project. We start with about 2 weeks of character designs and storyboards. Then we edit the storyboards into a “boardomatic” to figure out the timing. At the same time as the boardomatic, we use the character designs to start building sets and puppets. A team of stop motion and felt artists works together for several weeks to create all of the sets and puppets. Everything was made of felt, down to the lightbulbs. Once the characters and sets are ready, we bring them on stage and a crew lights them and starts building camera moves. I think we completed the animation in around 4 weeks with 2-3 animators. I tried to keep things as practical (in camera) as possible so the compositing was minimal. Finally we do a color correction pass where we tweak the color of each shot a little to make them flow from scene to scene.

The Machine meets The King in The Machine. Source: Vimeo.

My normal day is taking notes we get from the client and working with the different departments (art department, animators, stage, and compositing) to figure out the best ways to address them. When the animators are working I set up framing and staging for the next shot. Then I check the shots as they finish and direct them on the action for the next shot. Honestly, depending on what part of the process we are in, my schedule can look completely different from day to day. As director, its my job to wrangle all of the parts and pieces and make them all agree with each other.

I don't know if I've answered your question here but there’s also this behind the scenes for the spot that might be helpful.

A.H.: Besides Bent Image Lab, the stop motion studios Laika and House Special also call Portland, Oregon their home. From your point of view, what does the stop motion landscape look like in Portland and what is your personal view on working and living there? What makes Portland a desirable place for stop motion studios and talent to flock to?

RS: Portland’s animation community really owes its formation to Will Vinton Studios. In the eighties, they were doing a lot of Claymation and their work was well known. I grew up on the California raisins. Like a lot of people, I first moved out here to work at Will Vinton but then fell in love with Portland and felt like I wanted to stay here. It has been challenging at times to find work here but the animation community in Portland is very tight and supportive. If you can make it work, it’s totally worth it.

The Machine converses with the Earth. Source: Vimeo.

A.H.: Do you have anything you’re working on right now that you can tell our readers about?
RS: I am 99.9999% finished my latest film and hope to start screening at festivals soon. It’s taken ten years to complete, mostly because it had to be done on my own time and I’ve done other projects along the way. I’ve already started my next film which I’ve promised myself will be done in a year. We will see if I keep that promise.

The clock in The Machine as it strikes twelve. Source: Vimeo.

You can learn more about Robert Shaw and you can watch more of his work by visiting his Vimeo and website, as well as Bent Image Lab’s Vimeo and website.

You can watch The Machine by going here.

You can stay tuned for the upcoming interviews and articles by subscribing to Stop Motion Geek via the “subscribe” button at the top right corner of our homepage, or by following us on Facebook @StopMotionGeek, or by visiting https://www.facebook.com/StopMotionGeek/. You can also stay up-to-date with the blog by following us on Instagram or @stop.motion.geek.blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Bram Meindersma, Composer and Sound Designer of Oscar® Nominated Stop Motion Short Film, "Negative Space"

Sam and his father, from Negative Space . Source: Vimeo. Unlike practically every other medium, film has the unique aesthetic of being composed of the elements of sound and image, and, curiously, whenever watching a film, the two blend together into something of an impeccably hybridized concoction. With as much influence as sound has over the audience’s final experience of any given film, composer and sound designer Bram Meindersma’s work on the Oscar-nominated stop motion short film Negative Space – directed by Ru Kuwahata and Max Porter – proves an endlessly fascinating and extraordinary case study, as it uses sound – both its soundtrack as well as every other element of sound design – only sparingly and in subtle ways, one that could almost be called conservative. Yet it is perhaps just that component of its sound design that, at least in part, makes the film such a powerful one. Perhaps the reason why Meindersma’s delicate work on Negative Space is so powerful is i

Interview with Samuel Lewis - Animator, Character Designer, and Sculptor on Stop Motion Short Film, "Lost & Found"

Knotjira, a clumsy dinosaur made of wool, as seen in Lost & Found . Photo courtesy of Andrew Goldsmith. “If I had to pick a starting point for my career as a stop motion animator I would have to say it was my obsession as a six year old with a book called ‘Playing with Plasticine’ by Barbara Reid,” Samuel Lewis – a London-based stop motion and 2D animator and director, whose most recent labor of love can be seen in his contribution to the Australian stop motion short film, Lost & Found – tells Stop Motion Geek. Upon reflection, Lewis explains that his love for the medium of stop motion began very early in life, and has merely managed to burn ever brighter in his fervor to master the craft. “I would spend countless hours fixated on sculpting tiny snails, fruit bowls and dinosaurs to the point where I would stay inside on family holidays sculpting a surfer in a beach scene rather than going to the actual beach that was only a short walk away,” Lewis recalls wistfully. “

Interview with Gerald Thompson, Director of Photography and Motion Control Artist on Australian Stop Motion Short Film "Lost & Found"

Knitsune in Lost & Found . Photo courtesy of Andrew Goldsmith. Early on, while growing up in Adelaide, South Australia, Gerald Thompson – motion control artist and director of photography on the beautiful and heartfelt Australian short film Lost & Found – developed an interest in photography, and it didn’t take very long for him to became enamored with making “epic” Super 8 films with his friends. Knotjira (left) and Knitsune (right) in Lost & Found . Photo courtesy of Andrew Goldsmith. An engineer at heart – having gone on to design numerous motion control rigs as well as an incredible robot that interacts in real time with a dancer and musician – the element of filmmaking that Thompson found the most ardor remains the technical side of film’s craft, especially in the realm of special effects, specifically practical effects (for when Thompson – now a veteran in the special effects industry – began, CGI was still only in early stages of development, an

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2" End Credits

A few nights ago I sat down and watched the sequel to Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs ; correctly titled Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 .  And, I must say... it was enjoyable and entertaining.  Though the first film was comedic brilliance animated, dubbed, and packed in a box we like to call a movie.   Cloudy 2 wasn't any where near as good as the first one but on the other hand the original directors/writers of the first film, Phil Lord and Chris Miller didn't direct the sequel.  But they are the creative team behind the recently released The Lego Movie .  Which looks great and is getting incredibly positive reviews from the critics.  So, i am excited to partake in that movie experience.  All the 'end credits' work was done by the amazing people over a Screen Novelties. Lots of cool stuff here in the end credits including grown men in strawberry suits, puppets, and of course, Stop Motion.  So grab a snack and enjoy! Link:  http://vimeo.com/85201368 End C

Interview with Florian Guillaume, Co-Director of "Magic Shoe: Episode 3"

The London-based rock band El Deyma has begun to release via their YouTube channel a series of serialized multi-media music videos entitled “The Magic Shoe,” in which each instalment features one of their songs. Each episode features a different cinematographic technique, so far having explored both live action and two styles of stop motion. Each video features the next chapter in an on-going narrative about a red shoe’s search for his twin, beginning – in episode one – in the bedroom of it’s owner, before the shoe eventually hits the streets of London in its quest, which is where the second episode – a live action piece – begins. The third episode , which is this week’s Stop Motion Geek “pick of the week,” follows the shoe’s exploits through a surreal, collage-style, stop-motion version of Venice, the soundtrack to which is the band’s song “Dino Monkey.” The original idea for the Magic Shoe series (originally conceived for what became episode one, featuring El Deyma’s song,

Vincent & Puppet Scales

Tim Burton's Vincent  is a masterpiece; the short was animated by the brilliant Stephen Chiodo .  I do love that the short was shot in black and white film, ask any true film-lover and

Behind the Scenes of "Robocop 2" at Tippett Studios and how "Jurassic Park" Changed Special Effects Forever

A depressingly large percentage of Hollywood movies boast a gratuitous amount of potential and possibility and yet, for one reason or another, often fall far, far too short to live up to the films they seem to have the potential of being. Although it’s a shame that many of these films have a stupendous level of production value and talent but are often often overlooked, as production value and talent are seen as secondary and supplementary to a quality story – the special effects work done on such second-rate films sadly go unrecognized the most often. An immutable fact stands strong – mediocre films, no matter the level of talent and amount of time poured into producing their special effects, are seen and remembered as nothing but wasted potential…or worse. Yet few box office bombs have had special practical effects work as groundbreaking, especially in the stop motion realm, and yet unfortunately remains unrecognized in every respect than the 1990 film Robocop 2 , both an irrefutabl

Short Flicks: Bent Image Lab's "Fruity Pebbles"

What could be better than starting your day off with part of a whole breakfast, Fred Flintstone, and Stop Motion?  We couldn't think of anything either.  Nevertheless, these awesome commercials/BTS will bring out the kid, and nerd, in all of us.  Directed by Rob Shaw for the incredible Bent Image Lab (a studio that just moved to Manhattan , by the way), these TV spots encapsulates everything we know and love about the modern stone-age Flintstone family who establish how we now think of Prehistoric times. Fire House :  http://vimeo.com/45991027 Cocoa Pebbles "Fire Hose" from Bent Image Lab on Vimeo . Cop Rock :  http://vimeo.com/42010097 Cocoa Pebbles "Cop Rock" from Bent Image Lab on Vimeo .

Interview with Matt Bollinger, Painter and Animator Behind Stop Motion/Painting Hybrid Short Film "Between the Days," a Beautiful Portrait of Routine, Unfulfillment, and Despair in Middle America

"Before Work" finished painting featured in  Between the Days . Photo courtesy of Matt Bollinger.  Often – far too often – we forget the true weight of our actions, our everyday decisions, ranging from those big to small. And, in forgetting, we forget ourselves – who we truly are, where we have been, what we have done, how we have gotten here, to this very place in this very moment. For we are nothing if not the sum total of all our decisions, our actions…even the most minute, even those – perhaps especially those – made in the thrumming humdrum of the everyday: the act of rising from our bed and reaching over to flick off the alarm resting on our bedside table, lighting a cigarette, collecting yesterday’s trash before moving on to more, equally menial tasks. Moments spent alone, in ostensible comfort – the comfort provided us by 21st century accoutrements so many of us have grown to take for granted. Whether we are aware of it or not, each of our actions leave a ma

MAD - Spy vs. Spy

We all love the brilliant original comic strip Spy vs. Spy, that's has been around, who knows how long, is in stopmo!