Skip to main content

Interview With Paul Zito, Director and Animator of Samurai Stop Motion Music Video, "Old Love"

A chrysanthemum blooms and swords of Samurai begin to clash in rhythm with snare drums as the stop motion music video for the song “Old Love” begins.

Directed and animated by Paul Zito, an animator currently living in Portland, Old Love follows the story of two samurai, each belonging opposing factions, who face each other in battle and then fall in love when the victor realizes that he cannot bring himself to kill the other.

The song “Old Love” – based on the Japanese folktale “The Chrysanthemum Pledge” – is on its own a great listen. Joe Hertler, the song’s lyricist, says, concerning the inspiration for the project, “What I really wanted to capture in the song – and I’m not sure of the best way to put this – is that there is beauty in tragedy and violence. Their [the Samurai’s] love is forbidden, but sincere, sensitive, and beautiful. Sounds kinda silly to say it like that, but it’s what I was feeling when I wrote the song. I felt very connected to these characters and as a fan of Japanese literature, I really wanted to do the beautiful source material justice.”



The stop motion aesthetic that Paul selected for this film was a stop motion/digitally animated hybrid. The particular stop motion technique used is two-dimensional replacement animation, which is shot in three-dimensions using the multiplane camera system. Interestingly, the multiplane camera was a system first engineered by Walt Disney and his Nine Old Men in the early days of Walt Disney Animation. The original objective in building the multiplane camera system was to find a way for two-dimensional objects to move relative to other two-dimensional subjects, giving the frame a depth of field. The actual engineering of the equipment resulted in several layers of glass being built on what is essentially a metal rack. The camera is angled to look down through all of the layers of glass. Each layer thus contains different elements of a scene to give the scene a rich depth of field. The opening shot of Bambi, where a camera pans through the woods, is a beautiful example of the multiplane camera effect at work. In this video you can watch Walt Disney himself explain the multiplane camera system and the thought process behind it.

In the description of the Old Love video on YouTube, Joe explains his and Paul’s collaboration on Old Love, “I was introduced to the director [of Old Love], Paul Zito, of Portland, through a mutual friend and instantly fell in love with his work. He immediately seemed to connect with the story when I pitched it to him and cannot overstate how much I appreciated the level of respect and sensitivity he gave to the source material.”


The handiwork and passion that went into the project is evident in every frame of the film: everything from the initial character and set design to the final animation. According to Joe Hertler, Paul made “something like 10,000-15,000 paper cut outs and spent like 4 months on the project.”

Shout out to Paul, who I was fortunate enough to recently interview about his work on Old Love. Our discussion (below) ranges from the equipment and software Paul used to bring Old Love to life to his creative process to details about his animation workflow. Enjoy!

A.H. Uriah: I was quite excited when I saw your employment of the multiplane camera system (the process of animating a scene on several separate layers to create a rich depth of field), a process that I believe was pioneered by Disney in the early days of Walt Disney Animation. How did working with a multiplane system change your animation workflow on Old Love compared to a project like Battery Life (which, by the way, I think is fantastic)?

Paul Zito: I’d say the biggest adjustment in animation is to get your brain to think in terms of 2D vs 3D. Once you come up with a shot, the next challenge is breaking that down into flat layers while maintaining things like perspective, parallax and depth. And to me that’s where the magic of the multiplane really lies. It opens up all sorts of doors into stylization where you can create a sort of “faux 3D” with a bunch of flat 2D elements. A good example of this might be the shot at 1:12 where both samurai are walking deeper into the woods. Right before the shot cuts, this additional layer of trees and ground reveals in a way that creates depth. Those kinds of moves take a bit of extra planning and forethought to pull off but when it works it’s really rewarding.


A.H.: Can you walk us through the creative and animation process, from pre-production to post-production, for the Old Love music video?

PZ: The concept came from the song’s lyrics that Joe Hertler, the band’s frontman, had written. Joe sent me the general story and inspiration behind it which I then adapted into a music video format. Once we had the story nailed down I went on to things like character design, storyboards, and the animatic. I really took my time with the animatic. I knew there wasn’t going to be much room for change down the line so I poured extra attention into each shot and scene so that it all flowed and felt cohesive.



Once things felt good with the animatic I moved on to character templates. The templates were the character’s animation in bare bones digital form. You can see some of them in the BTS. A lot of it was done with traditional cel animation and other times it was a hybrid of cel and motion graphics.

Once I finished the templates I began printing each frame onto computer paper. And each one of those frames had to then be taped down onto large sheets of color card stock. I then cut out each frame, by hand, with x-acto knives and scissors. That was probably the most laborious experience of the whole video. And that’s coming from a guy who loves making stop motion and cel animation!

While the cutouts were being generated, I was also splitting my time with the last 40-50 seconds of the music video. Towards the end, when the orange-ish/red samurai commits hara-kiri, there’s this transition that happens where we enter a heavenly realm. I wanted this part to feel unique and different from the rest of the story so I used a cel animated, After Effects approach. The characters were all animated in Photoshop again but the camera moves and compositions were done in After Effects. My brother, Jonathan, created all the digital backgrounds in Photoshop. I did however overlay quite a bit of rotating paper texture, which I captured from the same colored card stock I used for the characters. As much as I wanted the heavenly realm to feel different, I also wanted to maintain an overall sense of papery cohesion.



After the character cutouts were done and the background elements were created, I started shooting the stop-motion portion. This is where the 5 layered multiplane came into play. For most shots, I would design the backgrounds on the bottom 2 layers, reserving the middle 2 for the characters and the top layer for foreground elements. The underlying character animation was already baked into the pre-made cutouts so my main focus here was making sure everything felt as smooth as possible.

That last major step was to take all the stop-motion/multiplane footage and go over it one more time with cel animation. That included things like swords, eyes, character highlights, fireflies, peddles and the flowers. I also overlaid all those elements with various rotating paper textures, again using textures I captured from the same colored card stock I used for the characters.

Around the time I finished that, my brother and I started wrapping up the 40-50 seconds of digital animation for the end. Once those two pieces came together I polished it all off with a few rounds of color correction and paper texturing to cement the world.


A.H.: What was your workflow like on Old Love? What specific gear, software and cameras did you use?

PZ: The animatic and early assembly cuts were done in Final Cut X. All the characters were animated in Photoshop. Some additional elements were done in After Effects but I really only reserved that for things that I deemed too laborious to do frame-by-frame.

This particular multiplane rig was my 2.0. I had built one about 5 years ago and had learned from my mistakes. Instead of buying a bunch of material and making my own frame, I bought a heavy duty shelving unit from Home Depot. I then special ordered 4 layers of glass to fit the shelves and used particle board for the 5th layer at the top of to rig the camera through.


I shot on a Canon 60D and used Dragonframe for my stop-motion software. Dragonframe’s layering system, where you can overlay images and videos on top of your live feed, was a huge part in making this whole thing work. Without it I wouldn’t have been able to align the character cutouts with the digital templates.

The final layering of cel animation was made in Photoshop. All the compositing, coloring, and finally assembly, where the stop-motion/cel sandwich was made, was done in After Effects.


A.H.: What is one piece of advice you can give to our readers – specifically animators who are just beginning – that you wish you had known when you were first getting started in animation?

PZ: If I could give an earlier version of myself some advice, it’d be to spend more time grinding through the basics. I was definitely a little impatient and just wanted to start making full productions right of the bat. Consequently, it wasn’t until Battery Life that I felt like I was grasping decent character animation. Sometimes you gotta be okay with making a bunch of stuff nobody’s ever gonna see just to get through those early learning stages.



You can watch the Old Love music video here, and you can connect with Paul and explore more of his incredible work on his website, SoundCloud, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. For further resources concerning the making-of process of Old Love, you can check out the behind-the-scenes video here. Also, if you’re viewing this article on the Stop Motion Geek blog, I have below posted several behind-the-scenes pictures which Paul provided me with.

The song “Old Love” was written by Joe Hertler and is off his album “Pluto” by Joe Hertler and The Rainbow Seekers. You can download this song and more of Joe’s music on his website, Spotify, Google Play and iTunes.

You can stay tuned for the upcoming interviews and articles by subscribing to Stop Motion Geek via the “subscribe” button at the top right corner of our homepage, or by following us on Facebook @StopMotionGeek, or by visiting https://www.facebook.com/StopMotionGeek/. You can also stay up-to-date with the blog by following us on Instagram or @stop.motion.geek.blog.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Samuel Lewis - Animator, Character Designer, and Sculptor on Stop Motion Short Film, "Lost & Found"

Knotjira, a clumsy dinosaur made of wool, as seen in Lost & Found . Photo courtesy of Andrew Goldsmith. “If I had to pick a starting point for my career as a stop motion animator I would have to say it was my obsession as a six year old with a book called ‘Playing with Plasticine’ by Barbara Reid,” Samuel Lewis – a London-based stop motion and 2D animator and director, whose most recent labor of love can be seen in his contribution to the Australian stop motion short film, Lost & Found – tells Stop Motion Geek. Upon reflection, Lewis explains that his love for the medium of stop motion began very early in life, and has merely managed to burn ever brighter in his fervor to master the craft. “I would spend countless hours fixated on sculpting tiny snails, fruit bowls and dinosaurs to the point where I would stay inside on family holidays sculpting a surfer in a beach scene rather than going to the actual beach that was only a short walk away,” Lewis recalls wistfully. “...

Interview with Ru Kuwahata and Max Porter, Directors of Oscar® Nominated Stop Motion Short Film, "Negative Space"

Sam walks to his car in Negative Space . Source: Vimeo. Across the Baltimore-based director-duo Ru Kuwahata and Max Porter’s Oscar® nominated short film Negative Space ’s 5 minute runtime, rooted in the profoundly emotional soil of the film’s essence , an extraordinary spectrum of deep themes are explored – death, grief, what one’s childhood means once one has “grown up” – yet perhaps none are as front-and-center than that which binds all of the film’s themes together: that of the relationship between father and son. Negative Space , a film inspired by a 150-word poem of the same by Ron Koertge , is, at its heart, the story of Sam, a young man, as he internally processes his relationship with his father throughout his life as well as the grief and emotion that come with the loss of his father as he travels to his recently-passed father’s funeral. Sam looks upon a toy taxicab in Negative Space . Source: Vimeo. Undoubtedly the primary visual motif as well as the crux of t...

Interview with Joseph Wallace, Director and Animator of Psychedelic, Cut-out Stop Motion Music Video for Canadian Artist Parker Bossley's "Chemicals"

Parker Bossley as seen in Chemicals . Photo courtesy of Joseph Wallace. “I think the thing I’ve always found wonderful about cut out animation is that it’s one of the most immediate forms of animation,” muses British stop motion animation director Joseph Wallace – currently based in Bristol, UK, where, in January of this year, he founded the stop motion studio Hangar Puppet Animation Studio – in discussion of the medium he employed in his most recent film – the surreal, psychedelic music video for Canadian artist Parker Bossley’s debut single, Chemicals , which has already won a Vimeo Staff Pick. Perhaps more than anything else – perfectly suiting the film’s subject matter –the style and medium allow to film to transcend to time itself, just as Wallace implies, undoubtedly allowing the film to become just that – immediate. Almost so much so one gets the feeling they’re clawing at air in search for a handle on reality as they fall…along with Bossley – also the film’s protagoni...

Interview with Robert Shaw, Director, Writer, and Co-Animator of Stop Motion Short Film "The Machine"

Parables and allegories, amidst every other kind of story that can be told, have a unique and extraordinarily powerful quality that is all their own: They allow us – the audience – to learn lessons about and to see ourselves, others, and the world in which we live through a completely different lens – that of narrative. The best allegories and parables, in fact, have the unique ability to simultaneously act as conduits for important lessons and to also exist as literal stories, which gives them the unique ability to challenge beliefs and ideas held by the audience in a way that only art can do. Some of the most cherished stories ever composed, illustrated, and put on film are parables and allegories, and what makes them so exceptional are how powerful the lessons are that they teach. The Machine meets The Farmer in The Machine . Photo courtesy of Robert Shaw. Robert Shaw, in his haunting and beautiful stop motion short film The Machine – which he wrote, directed, and co-anim...

Interview with Heather Colbert, Filmmaker Behind The Music Video for Tom Rosenthal’s “How Have You Been?”

Hypnos looking on at the moon. Photo courtesy of Heather Colbert. “After talking with Tom, I just let the track play, while I drew or noted down ideas that came into my head,” Heather Colbert—a Bristol-based animator and filmmaker—tells Stop Motion Geek about the origins of her newest project: creating, almost single-handedly, the music video for English singer-songwriter Tom Rosenthal’s “How Have You Been?”—a haunting and beautiful acapella piece off his latest album, Z-Sides . “He told me the album was about sleep and so the images that came to me were of nocturnal and natural things. I also saw a connection in the beautiful lyrics to a character living with mental health issues, especially in the line ‘I woke up, but it didn’t go away’. So I began to see a creature trying their best to get on with their task, but being hindered by the fear of the world that they inhabit.” Hypnos (left) and Shadow (right) in the film. Photo courtesy of Heather Colbert. The third musi...

Interview with Mark Smith, Director and Writer of Stop Motion Short Film, "Two Balloons"

A still from Two Balloons featuring the character of Elba. Photo courtesy of Mark Smith. As I sit, listening to Peter Broderick’s moving composition for piano  More Of A Composition , I close my eyes and envisage an enormous funnel cloud skimming across the crystalline face of an ocean – the skies are murky and unusually dark, lightning crackles, spider-webbing across the darkened skies before then vanishing, and still, after its gone, an electricity continues to hum in the air and I simply  know  that it’s going to soon strike again. And as the scene presents itself to me, I suddenly feel something similar to what director Mark C. Smith felt when he saw the same image as he sailed to a small island called Grenada along with his wife in a timeworn sailboat. For him, in that moment inspiration struck, and the idea suddenly came to him for his heartfelt stop motion film,  Two Balloons . For me, I open my eyes and feel as I did the instant  Two Balloons  ...

Interview with Norman Yeend – Director, Animator, and Co-Producer of Ident for "Aquaman" Director James Wan’s Production Company, Atomic Monster

Atomic Monster logo. Photo courtesy of Norman Yeend. “At the time he made contact, he was working as an assistant to James Wan on the film Aquaman ,” Norman Yeend—a thirty-year veteran in the stop motion industry as a director, animator, and model maker—tells Stop Motion Geek, describing a moment towards the end of 2017 when he got the call from his friend, coworker, and fellow Australian, Craig Sinclair, a producer, who pitched to Yeend what became his next labor of love—one which checked all the right boxes for him to stoke his passion for classic, practical-effects movie monsters and their delightfully fun flavor of mayhem. “James had mentioned to him that he was keen to re-create his company logo using primarily stop-motion and miniatures, and Craig figured he knew just the guy for the job.” For Yeend there isn’t a pivotal moment he can pinpoint when his passion for stop motion was first ignited, his love for the medium instead one which slowly grew from his youth, the ea...

Aardman Co-Founder David Sproxton's Tips for Success in the Animation Industry, Part 1 (of 3): 3 Pre-Production Tips

Aardman founders David Sproxton (left) and Peter Lord (right) standing in front of Wallace & Gromit set for Variety (Photo by Charlie Gray) “It all started at a kitchen table,”  says co-founder of Aardman Animations, David Sproxton,  about the beginning of his career in animation, “Pete [Peter Lord] and I met as schoolkids….Pete and I got to be great mates and we started playing and thinking up stories. I was always interested in photography and kind of, I guess, the process thing about films….One day we got out the Bolex, stuck it up on a stand and actually just cut images out of color supplements. We’d obviously watched programs like  Vision On , which obviously used a plethora of styles. Cut out is the easiest thing to do. We didn’t really understand cel animation or actually how you drew stuff. We just moved stuff around and did stuff with chalk drawings.” Earlier this year, Aardman, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of their studio,  released a ...

Interview with Angela Poschet, Production Supervisor on "Isle of Dogs"

Angela Poschet. Source: http://en.animarkt.pl/masters/masterclasses/ “I have worked for many different producers and production companies based in different European countries, and I’ve had to adapt to the specific needs for each production,” Angela Poschet—a veteran in the stop motion industry, whose credits include production supervisor of Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs , head of scheduling of Tim Burton’s Oscar®-nominated film Frankenweenie , director of photography of Bob the Builder , as well as numerous others credit on feature films, television series, and commercials—tells Stop Motion Geek. “Therefore, you have to be very open and you have to approach each production individually to get it up and running for their needs and the capacity they can deal with.” Poschet began her career in the stop motion industry in 1998 as the director of photography on the preschool series Bob the Builder for BBC UK—on which she worked for three years across thirty-nine episodes. She pr...

Interview with Chris Randall, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Second Home Studios

Chris Randall in the Mills & Reeve Innovation 50 list. Source: https://twitter.com/SecondHomeChris/status/904681346060230656 “I came to animation mainly from a point-of-view of blind curiosity,” Chris Randall—the creative director and co-founder of Second Home Studios, a Birmingham, United Kingdom-based, award-winning animation studio—tells Stop Motion Geek. “I’d always loved the medium but never took it seriously, or saw myself with a part to play in it. It wasn’t until after Uni that I realised I basically like tinkering and trying out new things, whilst at the same time telling stories. So, animation is a perfect fit for me.” First founded in 2004, Second Home Studios has garnered multiple BAFTA and Royal Television Society awards and nominations for many of the films in their diverse repertoire of artistic and commissioned projects, encompassing all styles of animation—from stop motion to CGI to 2D—as well as puppetry and mixed-media. In their fourteen-and-counting years...